Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Spaghetti Squash with meat sauce…




Eating healthy is so hard! We have been trying to incorporate healthier foods into our daily life more often, but I find that it can be more difficult if I don’t plan well.  With a 6 month old, it can be difficult to spend lots of time in the kitchen preparing meals that take lots of time. So, I have been looking for ways to make healthier foods ahead of time and/or meals that don’t take too much time to make. For example, when I make spaghetti sauce I make twice as much as I need and freeze it – so that when we are short on time or have a rough day I can just boil some pasta and we have a meal. However, pasta isn’t all that great for you and I try to find alternative to it.  I’ve been hearing a lot about spaghetti squash lately on pintrest and then from my family especially during the fall so I thought we would give it a try. I roasted/steamed the spaghetti squash and then topped it with premade meat sauce and it was pretty good. Aside from the fact that I need to cook it longer because it was crunchier than I expected, it was pretty good. It would not replace spaghetti on a regular basis – But as a healthy alternative it was pretty good!  Even Josh said it was pretty good – so I take that as a successful meal!!


Ready to roast - I added a little water to the bottom of the pan, covered it in foil and bake for about 50 min - next time I will bake it for at least an hour!


After I scooped it out, I added some butter and salt to taste.

Final product, with a little parmesan cheese on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment